Flamboyant, energetic style or action; dash; verve inspired by Eubie.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The work of Eiko Ishioka: Another reason why I love Japan


Its no secret that I love Japan and have many friends in Tokyo that I consider family.  The tragedy in Japan has me thinking about two things mainly. One is how I can help (more on that later), the other is why I love Japan and why the preservation of Japan is important to the world.  I was having a conversation with my really good friend in Tokyo via gchat and we were talking about the damage the natural disaster has done to Japan and we both started feeling so sad.  Then she changes the subject and starts talking to me about how she saw a documentary about Eiko Ishioka. "Do you know who she is?" "Yes I replied I've seen her book at Borders. Her work is so inspiring!"  I then start googling images of her work and getting really excited about my new theory:

The preservation of Japan is important to the world because of artists like Eiko Ishioka. 


Eiko is a 72 year old oscar winning costume designer, who has worked with artists such as Bjork and Grace Jones. She's an accomplished director, production designer and costume designer who works in advertising, Broadway and film. She graduated from the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music. (via Wikipedia)

Some of her best known works are:

Bram Stoker's "Dracula" 1992
(which she won the Oscar for Best Costumes).
She directed the music video for Björk's Cocoon in 2002.


Costume Designer for the movie "The Cell" 2000.

Costumes for Grace Jone's "Hurricane" Tour 2009

And most recently costume designer for
"Spiderman: Turn-Off the Dark" 2010

This is just a small representation of Eiko Ishioka's work.  For more images you can see her book in most book stores called "Eiko on Stage"

 Or buy on Amazon.com
(it's SO worth the money):


Eiko's work and creativity was cultivated in Japan.  Her artistic expression and consistent use of horror themes I believe are as a result of living through the second World War and the tragedies of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  (Merely my personal assumption and observation). It is important that the world do all we can to help the next generation of Japanese creatives to come out of Japan.  Their artistic expression is sure to be shaped by their own experiences and it is necessary for the world to see their art!

Until then, inspired and ready to give!

Chay$

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Check back for my response! Thanks for commenting!